- Welcome to 13 new ECSC club members! (See Membership article below)
- ECSC & Mayors Cup Regattas cancelled. ECSC Beach Party cancelled. 🙁
- Survey to gauge club member interest in social events.
- New Member Orientation – Saturday, July 25th
- All new(ish) members welcome!
With the onset of 2019, ECSC is getting ready to celebrate our 50th Anniversary. The club has come a long way from its modest beginnings in 1969. Our club began as a collection of Hobie Catamarans lined up on the beach with no supporting club facilities. Our first building was the lower shelter. It is still standing and recently received a much-needed overhaul. Since these early days we have added the upper shelter, the various maintenance sheds, the floating docks, the gin pole, the power washer, the youth sailing sheds, the playground and many other amenities.
We now have 4 gathering areas:
- The lower shelter near the playground for smaller family-style gatherings
- The upper shelter for larger social or family gatherings
- The “Race Pavilion” for nightly and post-race informal gatherings
- The Junior area for the Junior team
What a wonderful club to spend an afternoon or evening!
Our big capital project for the year will be replacing the boat ramp. Our current ramp has lasted several decades, but it is cracked and getting worse. This is a huge project and a huge expense. This project alone will consume one-third of our cash reserves but will last us for many decades to come.
50th Anniversary Gala
We have big plans for this year to celebrate our 50th anniversary. Vickie Greenough, Nick Mates and their crew are planning a lot of activities to celebrate. Current plans are to combine the celebration with the ECSC Beach Party. There will be more to come in later months. Vickie and Nick will need a lot of help. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Vickie (email@example.com).
Once again, we are nearing boat storage capacity. In order to manage our space better, we are going back to assigned dry slips. Several years ago, each dry-docked boat was assigned a specific parking lot space. We went away from that practice several years ago, but it’s time we went back to assigned spaces. Harbormasters Dennis Robertson and Ki Hickok will be sorting that out, but members will have first dibs on their existing spots. Open spaces will be awarded based on seniority just like the wet slips.
2019 Budget Update
The board approved the 2019 budget at the January board meeting. In addition to funding our normal activities, we will be funding the 50th Anniversary Celebration. We are also making some much-needed improvements to the club including:
- Replace the mast raising gin pole – the current one is nearing its useful life.
- Replace the dilapidated boat ramp – it is severely cracked.
- Replace the aging motors for the race committee boats. They are beyond their useful life.
- Replace the Social Shed refrigerator and the industrial grill in the upper shelter
The repairs will take about 6 weeks. Current plans are to begin work one week after the Hornback regatta. That means all boats must be out of the water by mid-October, or you will have to use the public ramp on the other side of the lake. There will be several warnings and announcements as we get near to the end of the sailing season.
The current mast raising pole is made of wood with a fixed lifting arm. This arm has been hit several times by members driving down the lane next to the water. The new design calls for a metal pole with a movable lifting arm that can be moved out of the way to prevent boats from hitting the lifting arm.
Our Race Committee Safety Boats have motors that are 15-20 years old. One is no longer working, and the other is nearing its useful life. We are replacing both motors this year. We replaced a broken motor a couple of years ago, so this gives us all new motors for the main safety boats.
Remember to get out to your boat to check on your boat covering. Please inform others if their boat needs attention.
Below is a list of our planned events along with volunteer opportunities to be a host/hostess! Hosting an event can provide you with 15 hours of work credits. This equates to $150 off your following year’s membership dues! What a great way to be rewarded for your volunteerism!
- May 12th – Mother’s Day Brunch – Hosted by Mike and Katie Smith
- May 25th – Memorial Weekend Kickoff – Please note this will be a Saturday evening with a DJ – Host/Hostess needed
- June 16th – Father’s Day Brunch – Host/Hostess needed
- July 4th – Pig Roast – Hosted by Steve and Sarah McQueen
- Aug 31st – Labor Day Weekend Kickoff – Please note this will be a Saturday evening with a DJ – Host/Hostess needed
- November 2nd – Final Bash – Hosted by Mark Walker and Kelli Moorhead
- TBD – Lobster Fest – Host/Hostess needed
- TBD – Chili Cookoff – Hosted by Jennifer and Ryan Curtis
- TBD – Beach Party and 50th Celebration Week – Hosted by Nick Mates and his team of pirates
If you would like to volunteer as a host/hostess OR with to help with any of our events, then indicate so on the membership paperwork or reach out to me directly.
I look forward to seeing you all again in the spring.
The Harbor is Frozen
Racing is looking forward to a fantastic 2019 50th Anniversary racing season. Check out the NOR, SI’s PHRF forms and ratings on the Racing Page! Sign Up Genius is posted for the series and regatta’s. All races and events are run by volunteers and we’ll need everyone’s help to be successful! The next race meeting for all sailors is February 27th at 6:30pm 9247 N. Meridian St. and we will have pizza and salad! We’ll discuss the upcoming season, talk about race committee duties, starting a race and the North U Seminar. Speaking of North U, the Sail Trim Seminar by Instructor Andrew Kerr will be March 23rd, 2019 starting at 9:00am. Don’t miss it! Sign up at NorthU.com.
ECSC 50th Anniversary Social and Racing Calendar
Save the Dates in 2019
Open and Class Regattas Social
ECSC Laser Class April 27/28 Mother’s Day 5/12-11:30a
Mayor’s Cup Open May 18/19 Memorial Day 5/25-5:30p
Flying Scott Class June 8/9 Father’s Day 6/16-11:30a
Governor’s Cup Sept. 14/15 Pig Roast 7/5-4:00p
50’ Beach Party 7/20 -TBA
Club Races Labor Day Event 8/31-5:30p
Wednesday Series – 6:50pm Lobster Fest 9/14-6:00p
Spring/Summer – April 24 thru Oct 2 Chili Cookoff 10/12-5:30p
Sunday Honor Series – 3:00pm Final Bash 11/2-6:00p
Spring/Summer – April 28 thru Oct 6
ECSC Regatta/Beach Party 50th Anniversary Celebration July 17-21
(Check Telltales’ and Calendar for event listings and updates)
Ladies Day Sail Aug. 24
Indy 200 Aug. 31
Hornback Regatta Oct 12/13
No Article Submitted
Please check out this link monthly for specials.
Cheers fellow ECSC Sailors,
I hope thoughts of the upcoming sailing season are at the forefront of your thoughts. Now is the time to start planning your spring boat prep projects so that you can insure an early start to your summer sailing.
The busy Publicity office of ECSC would love to get photos and stories from all of your winter sailing adventures. BVI, Antigua, Florida…I know that many of you have had some great adventures that your fellow club members would love to hear about. Email pictures and stories to our Publicity intern at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rick Graef – Publicity